Last Updated: February 29, 2024
- The hyperactive inflammatory response to SARS-CoV-2 infection plays a central role in the pathogenesis of COVID-19. See Therapeutic Management of Hospitalized Adults With COVID-19 and Therapeutic Management of Hospitalized Children With COVID-19 for the COVID-19 Treatment Guidelines Panel’s (the Panel) recommendations on the use of the following immunomodulators in hospitalized patients with COVID-19 according to their disease severity (listed in alphabetical order):
- Baricitinib (or tofacitinib)
- Tocilizumab (or sarilumab)
- There is insufficient evidence for the Panel to recommend either for or against the use of the following immunomodulators for the treatment of COVID-19:
- Inhaled corticosteroids
- The Panel recommends against the use of canakinumab for the treatment of COVID-19, except in a clinical trial (BIIa).