Table 2e. Characteristics of Antiviral Agents That Are Approved or Under Evaluation for the Treatment of COVID-19
Last Updated: July 8, 2021
- The information in this table is derived from data on the use of these drugs for FDA-approved indications or in investigational trials, and it is supplemented with data on their use in patients with COVID-19, when available.
- Information on CQ, HCQ, and LPV/RTV are available in the archived versions of the Guidelines. However, the Panel recommends against using these agents to treat COVID-19.
- There are limited or no data on dose modifications for patients with organ failure or those who require extracorporeal devices. Please refer to product labels, when available.
- There are currently not enough data to determine whether certain medications can be safely coadministered with therapies for the treatment of COVID-19. When using concomitant medications with similar toxicity profiles, consider performing additional safety monitoring.
- The potential additive, antagonistic, or synergistic effects and the safety of using combination therapies for the treatment of COVID-19 are unknown. Clinicians are encouraged to report AEs to the FDA MedWatch program.
- For drug interaction information, please refer to product labels and visit the Liverpool COVID-19 Drug Interactions website.
- For the Panel’s recommendations on using the drugs listed in this table, please refer to the individual drug sections or Therapeutic Management of Hospitalized Adults With COVID-19.
Table 2e. Characteristics of Antiviral Agents That Are Approved or Under Evaluation for Treatment of COVID-19
- Remdesivir (Veklury) [package insert]. Food and Drug Administration. 2020. Available at: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2020/214787Orig1s000lbl.pdf.
- Ivermectin (Stromectol) [package insert]. Food and Drug Administration. 2009. Available at: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2009/050742s024s025lbl.pdf.
- Rocco PRM, Silvia PL, Cruz FF, et al. Early use of nitazoxanide in mild COVID-19 disease: randomised, placebo-controlled trial. Eur Respir J. 2021;Published online ahead of print. Available at: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33361100/.
- Silva M, Espejo A, Pereyra ML, et al. Efficacy of Nitazoxanide in reducing the viral load in COVID-19 patients: randomized, placebo-controlled, single-blinded, parallel-group, pilot study. medRxiv. 2021;Preprint. Available at: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.03.03.21252509v1.full.pdf.
- Nitazoxanide (Alinia) [package insert]. Food and Drug Administration. 2017. Available at: https://www.alinia.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/prescribing-information.pdf.
- Food and Drug Administration. Fact sheet for health care providers emergency use authorization (EUA) of remdesivir (GS-5734™). 2020. Available at: https://www.fda.gov/media/137566/download.